Wednesday, December 18, 2013

End of the Road

Throughout this semester, I have been able to experience many new activities that have helped further my teaching knowledge. Every week we had different situations to push our abilities, and create a GROWTH MINDSET. Although every lab had its positives and negatives, there was always something I could take away from the lesson. I was always looking to my cohort members for some guidance, using their own perspectives to broaden the way I thought about education. Through this lab and my other classes, I saw a large growth personally and professionally.

Professionally, this lab was a great approach to get everyone prepared for the everyday tasks teachers do by second nature. The most important items were being professional through attire, speech, and preparedness for lessons. Dressing up, being on time, and having everything ready for the lesson was just the norm for every lab. I realized how much time and effort needs to be put into lessons, especially to make them engaging and fun for students. I was also able to grow professionally through my classroom management skills. With the labs, I had specific cohort members be troubling students that I had to manage, while teaching. I learned very fast that it is tough to try and teach your lesson, covering all the materials and activities, while making sure each student is behaving in the correct manner. This part of the lab was just something we all had to pick up on quick, and throughout the semester I picked up some great techniques that are going to help me in a professional setting in the future.

On a personal level, I was able to reflect more on how I want to be as a teacher. Each week, I created blogs that were out there for anyone's reading pleasure, reflecting on my teaching experience. I have always thought reflection was key in anything a person does, because reflection is the key to creating a lasting impression and true growth. The lab and blog piece gave me great insight,when I look back, to when I first started teaching. Honestly, I was a different teacher back then, and reading my blogs can reveal what I had confidence in and what needed more work. This lab allowed me to take my own personality and put it into a teaching form. Personally, I was glad to participate in this lab  because it provided more basis for my decision on what to do as a teacher, choosing either formal or non-formal education. This experience did not bias me towards either side, but it produced more information that I will take into consideration when I, hopefully, graduate and look for a job.

This lab was beneficial to all of the teaching cohort members, no matter how good or bad they thought they did. I think each person in the teaching cohort brings a different DIVERSITY to teaching, but we all have the same goal, to produce a great Agriculture Education program.


No comments:

Post a Comment