Friday, September 27, 2013

Interest Approach Lab #2



With the second assignment of our lab taking place, the interest approach was the main focus. I had to really dig deep to figure this lesson out, and I felt from the start that I was going to have a tougher time. I first decided to find my interest approach for the assignment, and work on the lesson from there. Looking back, it was not the best strategy. As I was working from my interest approach, I found the lesson subjects and objectives were not flowing as I wanted them to. I ended up finishing the lesson, but it was not one of my best. It was frustrating for a while, but I just had to keep going to finish what I was working on.






When it came to lab time, I was a less nervous than the week before. I had in my mind that I was going to do this interest approach, and hopefully connect it so the students would understand all of the ideas. I started off and was able to get the students engaged in the activity. I gave the groups a plastic cup, a coffee filter, and a tea bag. They poured the water onto the tea bag and it filtered through the coffee paper into the bottom of the cup. The students were very intuitive to what was happening in the approach, so I felt that I had gotten my point across to lead into the objectives of the day. My interest approach felt like it really fast, and there were times that I could have put in some more information, but just couldn't find the right words to say. I think, as a future educator, you can plan your lessons out to the most specific point, but there is always another factor that is not in your control. That is how you react, your students react, and the happenings on that specific day.

Overall,  I realized I had a really fun interest approach, but that I need to be more enthusiastic towards the students to make them more engaged and excited for the activity. I have a new outlook on lesson plans, starting from the end point and working backwards to early parts, like the interest approach. I feel each week we have to reflect to grow as educators, so I look forward to doing more in depth teaching and critique in the upcoming weeks. 

4 comments:

  1. Mike, I still think you did an awesome job! Maybe I'm just a nerd about the Understanding by Design model, I think that concept still applies here (begin with the end in mind). However, I loved your interest approach and thought it tied into the lesson extremely well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike!
    I agree, I struggled to find a strong interest approach for this week too. I think now that we have some good ideas going it will be easier in the future to find something that is more direct with your lessons. I wouldn't worry too much about your interest approach going to fast, you have a lot to cover in the lesson and if it is done right will capture the students attention- as it is the main purpose. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this blog really reflects how important it is to you be better. You are really aware of what didn't work. I think this allow you to create better approaches in the future because you are so cognitive of what works for you and what doesn't. I liked the picture because it show how I believe you felt. there is a good bit of emotion expressed here which will drive you to be better. good luck on you next one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike,
    I really like the self reflection and honesty with yourself. It is very hard to make a certain interest approach tie into what you want to teach.

    Just like you, I need to work on my enthusiasm. I am right there with ya that this week was much more comfortable than last week but I am not quite there yet.

    Take care of the little things, and the big things will take care of themselves.

    ReplyDelete