Friday, September 20, 2013

My First Day



The First Day of School

For the AEE 412 Lab, today we did a mock simulation of the first day of school. As I began my lesson planning and preparation, I was full of mixed emotions. I felt happy, sad, anxious, and many others that made this situation much tougher than it needed to be. I was able to get my emotions together, and figure out what I needed. 

As we started lab, no one wanted to go first. Being that guy, I volunteered, even though I really didn't want to. I thought I might as well just get it over with, one or two people in front of me would not make a difference anyway. I got up there, and felt the nerves rush over me. I could feel my heart beating, and even though I knew this was all fake, it still meant something. I began the lesson and followed my plan pretty much how I wanted to do it. I definitely think the nerves I had were good, or at least I convinced myself to try and spin them off in a good way. I was able to do the lesson, but I realized it is much tougher to handle all the different students who were role playing as well. This multitasking was something I personally wasn't used to, but it was something I just had to do on my feet. I realized for the lab that teaching is supposed to be a planned, written down, specific activity, but it never works out like that. Teachers have to be adaptive, and take obstacles without missing a stride. My 10 minute presentation seemed to fly by, and I had done some good things, and some bad. 

The overall experience of the lab was promising. I realized that I can be nervous, but to keep it under control so the students don't become nervous as well. I plan on working more enthusiasm into my lessons, getting students excited and ready for class. I enjoyed teaching this little scenario, especially because I liked making connections with what the students were saying to me. Creating the rapport with the students is something I feel makes a classroom and teacher that much better. I was happy with the performance of my first day, but I see much room for improvement. It was a little bittersweet to think that in a year I could actually be doing this scenario in a real life classroom. 

8 comments:

  1. Mike,

    It's actually nice to hear that you had a rush of nerves in the beginning too. However, as the class became more challenging, I got even more flustered! Glad to here that you were able to put a positive spin on it. I think that the more we do this, the easier it will be for us. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that we have the opportunity to participate in the labs to help us get use to working with the nerves. I am sure that every teacher feels some sort of adrenaline or nerves while teaching...imagine teaching bio 110 to 700 + students! I think you did a good job and everything will get better with time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,

    It's nice to have someone say that they were also nervous about teaching in lab. It can seem silly to be nervous about teaching to four or five of your classmates but teaching is really hard at first. I think we just need practice. I think that comfort will come with time. I'm glad you can identify the good and the bad from your lesson. Even though you might not be happy with your lab this week just try to improve a few small things for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,

    I agree with everyone else, it is completely normal for the nerves (obviously since everyone was nervous!), but I am glad you see that the point is so that we learn how to work through the nerves with some actual experience. I can believe that it can be challenging dealing with the students who are role playing, but I also know that we are all going to encounter all sorts of different students once we are out in the classroom. I am glad that you are able to take away things you liked about your lab and things you want to improve. We don't have to be perfect the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think one of the issues many of us are facing I the fact tha we want to react to students and teach like it is real. However, the fact is that it is our peers and it is cause some jitters and giving many of us a good toss. But reflection and nervousness mean that you are really thinking about your teaching, which is good

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike,
    I have to agree I like how you addressed the nerves (we were all feeling but not facing) and that you addressed that the point is to learn how to work through the nerves. I think that with the more practice we get the less the nervousness will affect our instruction. I think you might be being a bit hard on yourself, but that just shows your dedication in giving your students the best experience you can.Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike, First of all great job on your teaching video! Second, I really liked how you made it a point to mention being nervous. I was also nervous but I think that I was more nervous about "teaching" the members of our cohort and being videotaped. I know that when we all get ready to walk into our first day of student teaching the nerves will be because we have no idea who any of the students are and we have to play teacher for the next 15 weeks. I know I will be nervous about making an impact on them! I think the more we teach in front of each other the easier it will get but I agree that it will always be a little harder to because your friends are your hardest critics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike the man! Good job on the blog, as you had said, it is good to be nervous and you have to make it work to your advantage. That nervousness also shows that you care and are passionate about what you are doing. I like how you learned from it and how to move forward and that teaching requires a lot of adaptations. Being are first lab, we didn't know what to expect, but im sure we will get there with time and practice. All the "bad" kids didn't help either haha!

    ReplyDelete