Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Demonstrations are Tougher than I Thought - Lab 3

Today I took part in a demonstration activity to teach my peers about an Ag Mechanics topic. When deciding what I was going to do, I was unsure on what my topic was going to be. I took a lesson out of one of the teachers who is helping us with AEE 350, Mr. Heasley. I decided to demonstrate how to create a corner with a perfect right angle. This sounded like a good idea in my head, but today after I was finished presenting, I realized it might have been just a little too much for me at this stage. I felt good with the material and understanding, but the demonstration was not as smooth as I had  hoped. I realized I did not give out my Job Operation Sheets halfway through my demonstration, so that tripped me up, especially because that is one of the most important parts to help understand a demonstration. I had the students engaged pretty well, but there was too much time where I lost some of the students because they were  sitting at their seats. I got some great feedback and was able to understand that its okay to bring the students up in front of the class to see what was happening.

One point that really struck me was engaging both sections of students, ones who were doing the demonstration, and the students who were in the seats. I didn't even realize this until I was told after my presentation. Once I was finished, I became vigilant to this item for the next presentation. For my role play of the next presentation, I was to play the role of a sleepy student. Usually this one isn't too hard for me, laugh out loud, but at one point, when the presenter was focused on the students doing the demonstration, I was asleep for close to 3 minutes!!! I couldn't believe it, but then realized how hard it was to actually keep the students engaged while the student demonstration was occurring.  It is tough enough to watch the students so they get the demonstration right, but even harder to take care of the ones who aren't engaged!



It was a great "aha!" moment that sometimes everyone needs to be involved in the tasks. Even though I am still getting used to both teaching and class management at the same time, it is amazing to see an outsiders perspective. I know real students would do the same thing, so I my peers role playing is a great start for me to learn. I thought the demonstration lab went well, even with the hiccups and unprepared parts that arose. I gained some great teaching knowledge that will transfer into my future teachings from this lab.

9 comments:

  1. Mike,
    Nice reflection, I think it is crucial that we are able to see where we could have improved. I will be interested to watch your video once they are posted to see how you presented this topic in our classroom. I do not present my demonstration until next week however, I am struggling with doing an AG mech. demo in a classroom verse a shop setting. I find myself kicking myself in the butt after every lab, because I forget to do something I wanted to. For fall leadership, I wrote a note card with bullet pointed steps. Huge success, I found the note card was a great quick reference and kept me on task. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEYYY MIKEY MIKE. I like your honesty here. I feel like many people are going to say their demos didn't go so smoothly, but that's why we're in this lab - to LEARN and REFLECT on what we can do better for the REAL DEAL!
    So I am glad you are seriously reflecting. I agree with many of your points - the management of both groups especially. Maybe we can develop them to be doing something/taking notes to capture the student doing the demonstration to keep all parties focused on the task?
    As for your content - I think all of us can stumble over any kind of demo, even if it is something simple/that we know, especially if we have never done demos before :) Keep up the great personal reflections! You are definitely growing as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think once we are half way in to any teaching session and forgot something critical it throws us all off. I share that feeling of having a good idea that just came back to bite you because it may have been a bit too much for us. I think that aha moment says that you really learned from this lab and I am sure it can inly get better. I think that was a great idea as well but we must take baby steps

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought your lesson went well. Maybe you could have had the students more involved, or maybe it was because my role is to be the good student, that I was paying attention the whole time.. but you really seemed in your element this time. I know the first week you had said that you were nervous, but you seemed more comfortable this time. And yes, I agree, what we learn in these labs will definitely be transferred into our classes in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reflection Mike, I think it is important to remember that this week was a real learning moment for all of us. It is extremely hard to pay attention to all of the students at once (can you imagine once we can have an actual class with 20 kids?!). I think this is a great lesson for all of us to learn before we are out in our classrooms! You had a really great reflection here, we will keep learning together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mike!

    Like most people are commenting and I said this in your video I don't think anyone really considered how the students in their seats would react to the demonstration. It is difficult to do a large group demonstration or not focus so much on the students actually helping. I wasn't prepared for that at all I'm now realizing. I think we are all realizing that good teaching takes time and I agree with Jeanne you are in your element!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike,
    Like the other said I don't think any of us really thought about make sure both groups were engaged and how the un-involved ones would draw the class environment down.You diffidently don't seem nervous any more and seem clearer in your instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the picture, Mike!

    Secondly, I allowed you to sleep to further help you in your reflection process, just so you are aware! I wish that was true, but I feel your pain! It is really hard. I think this is one place where having a full group of students may be beneficial! However, I think that since this first demo is under your belt, you will be able to knock the next one out of the park!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off, thata boy! 3 minutes is getting to be close to a real nap to make up from the extra curriculars from the night before lol! I like how you used Mr. Heisleys input for ideas and did that as your demo. And don't sweat not handing out your job sheet, mistakes happen and you just have to keep rolling with that. It is hard to focus on the people doing the demo and then dealing with a bunch of people acting out that aren't engaged. I think it is our job to try and do demo's where we can engage everyone or at least to the point where they aren't doing anything or paying attention. I also like your positive outlook on everything!

    ReplyDelete