Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Solving the Problem One Student at a Time

Today I was able to do a teaching lab on the problem solving technique. I saw last week how some of the other students approached this, so I definitely felt that I had an advantage going into today. As I was preparing for the lesson though, I wasn't as comfortable as I have been the last couple weeks, but I didn't think anything of it. I had a solid idea of what I wanted to accomplish, dealing with the problem solving technique of possibilities/factors. This one seemed to rather easy to grasp, with parts I could engage the students with, so they would participate.




I always seem to be the most nervous right before I start speaking for the lesson, but once I tell the students to begin the bell work, I automatically feel a little more calm. I was able to have good discussions with the students, but some of the students weren't completely open with some items. I had to bring in some different areas to help them understand the idea. One example was when I asked Caleb, "Do you have any plants or a garden?" He replied with a no and so I tried to ask if his parents or anyone else he knew had a garden. He still was very stiff about agreeing to my question. I didn't really know what to say, so I tried to talk to him about completing an SAE of growing plants and assess health in the future so he felt relevance to the lesson and what he was accomplishing.

Throughout my problem solving parts, I thought I did rather well. I first described the importance to the students through a brainstorming session, then discussed what possible plant characteristics could be noticed in the plants. I did a good job engaging all students, having some be the scribe for me while others came up with ideas. Once they were finished, I talked about factors of the environment that could cause plant health to deteriorate. I broke the students up into small groups so they could interact with one another and create a list. These strategies seemed to work well with my group, because almost all of them were engaged the whole time, making them act up less.

I felt this lab went rather well, but I still got feedback dealing with my enthusiasm and being nervous up in front of the class. This feedback is well received on my end, because I enjoy things people see that I obviously cannot. I feel everyone has a different type of enthusiasm, but I'm just not sure what mine is yet. I also think the nervousness is just simply all in my head. I have to keep learning as I go, because these experiences I have make me a better teacher. Today was a good experience, and I feel the problem solving approach could do wonders for students in my future classroom.

Here are some links on enthusiasm and the love for teaching that gave me some better perspective. Teaching is something we constantly have to work at, but is without a doubt one of the BEST, MOST REWARDING PROFESSIONS

"What makes great Teachers"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bIQ4-3XSxU

"The love for teaching"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYtQfnERUFE


7 comments:

  1. Good reflection Mike, I am interested to keep reading this round of reflections. I am getting a sense that perhaps we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. We all have the potential and ability to be great teachers. As you said enthusiasm comes in many forms and we all have to find our own. I pushed my enthusiasm for my lab and did get a better grade however the question of was it genuine came up. Good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mikey mike, it sounds like you were a bit more "on" than many of us with this lesson. I am glad your approach went well, and I like your attention to engaging all students - something that may be difficult when doing a student-led PSA lesson with a class of 25. So it is good that we think of ways to get them all thinking. Small groups is good (like 3) so that they are almost forced to engage - they are held accountable by the other 2 people and then must share to the whole class.
    And you do have a different enthusiasm, but you also have a lovely smile! Be sure to use it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are continuously making progress, Mr. P! Keep up the good work.

    I was supposed to be chatty and with you continuously using me to talk to, I had to make the experience a challenge somehow! As I said after 350, you did so much better and were not nearly as nervous. I think once you teach at Central Mountain, you will realize what it is really like to teach and not have the pressure of lab on you.Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike I loved the links that you provided us, I agree with you they really help to put everything into perspective! I agree with whatever commented too, like Mindy said the light at the end of the tunnel is in sight! I also think that lab just makes us nervous because we're being videotaped! (I have no idea why but that scares me to no end!!) I think after we have our experiences at Central Mountain we will be a lot more relaxed and have an idea what it really feels like to be in the classroom! After that I think it will really help to put everything together! Keep up the good work! We can only get better from here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you mentioned that everyone has a different type of enthusiasm, that could not be more true. I know that I am still trying to figure out what mine is, so know that you are not alone! I agree with what everyone else has been saying about Central Mountain really pulling everything together. There is no lab experience that will show us truly what it will be like in the classroom.
    You are right, Teaching is such a rewarding profession, and I think that once we have one of those moments where our students truly "get it" everything will become worth while! Keep up the good work, your nervousness will subside, you got this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike,

    I don't understand why you get so nerves in lab when you were so calm and relaxed the other night. As for enthusiasm I think this is an area that we all can improve on, even when we each have our own brand on enthusiasm and your links are quit helpful. I do agree that till we are out of the lab and in the classroom we wont get the full effect of teaching. Keep up the good work and just be more relaxed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im glad your lab went well Mike! I too felt so much better going this week after seeing others do it so it gave me a better understanding on what to do and not do, but I still feel like my lab wasn't great or as good as I would have liked. That is good you are open to the feedback and want it to make you a better teacher. As you practice it more and more you will loose the nervousness and enthusiasm. Don't view it as a lab, just view it as teaching your friends something new that they don't know. That will allow you to feel more comfortable and confident in your teaching so you wont be nervous and then can focus on the material and students which in turn will give you more enthusiasm. Keep working hard like you are and you will be great!

    ReplyDelete