Friday, November 15, 2013

The Process of Inquiry

This week's lab was based on inquiry. We had a full 2 weeks of instruction on it, but there was still something that I couldn't really grasp. It seemed like I never knew what kinds of questions to ask about inquiry learning, somewhat ironic now that I think about it. As we went through the different discussions and lessons, I was able to grasp what the students were doing and why certain things were happening, but I really couldn't wrap my head around the big picture of inquiry learning.

As I prepared for my lab, I really struggled for the right topics and sequence I wanted to provide for my students. I definitely felt lost in the process. Looking back, I shouldn't have been so stubborn and just asked someone for help. That was my first and biggest mistake. I had a few ideas in my head, and they seemed like they could work. I just simply had no confidence in anything I planned to do. I really didn't like having to use a scientific piece of equipment, but I understood how it is an important and crucial part in the inquiry lesson.

As for my lab, I decided on using a pipette for my piece of equipment, and revolved my lesson around inquiring factors that affect plants, creating an experiment of planting seeds and watching them grow into plants.

                                   

When the lab started, I felt like I was out there lost at sea. Even though I had my lesson plan, I was still feeling uncomfortable with little confidence. Throughout the lesson, the students were engaged and kept on task for most of the time. My directions could have been better and clarity was definitely something I needed to work on. Adding to my already low confidence, I got tripped up by a student's comment. I was asking students what they want to learn about plant growth, and Jeanne fired right back and said "I want to learn what is the best way to grow weed." I was just so caught off guard that I had to take a second to collect and think what to say back. I guess kids really do say the craziest things.

This lab was a reality check to me. I realized that every day is not going to be perfect and your students aren't always going to be angels. It was just one of those days, and I have to chalk it up to lack of experience. I think it was a good growth experience, revealing that I have to make sure to always stay on my toes. It takes TIME, PRACTICE, and COLLEAGUE COOPERATION to become the best teacher you can be.

"There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time." - Malcolm X

7 comments:

  1. Hey Mike, I agree, confidence in the materials really does reflect on the quality of the lesson. I know that everyone keeps yelling at me to smile but it is just so hard to be care free when I am trying to figure out what to say next.

    I especially like your last sentence " It takes Time, Practice and Colleague Cooperation to become the best teacher you can be." Previously in your blog you mentioned that you were too stubborn to ask for help -- don't be. We all need to work together and people who have been through the program recently are especially ready to help. All you have to do is ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This lab was definitely a struggle I totally agree. Yes I have found from my mirco teaching you truly do need prepared for them to say anything! Going into an unconfident lesson isn't fun and it is very nerve racking. Despite the lesson just remember that its ok to learn with the students and make the best of it. If it doesn't work out learn from it and redirect the students into what will benefit them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how your background reminds me of perseverance. its going to a lot to get to where we want to go. I think you def hit on something with the redirecting. its ok to have to step in and change the direction. Kids do want to know the craziest things. But growing weed is honestly something that comes up a lot in schools. you can preplan a response to that. lock it away for that rainy day and smart kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I remember trying to brainstorm ideas with you and even with a couple of us, we couldn't really think of the 'perfect' idea. The thing is that you got through it and have some ideas after seeing everyone else go. You had quite the bold student!!!! Jeanne! That type of comment is really tough and I'm not sure how I would have handled that either! Anyway, keep working hard, because you do have a lot of good stuff going for your lessons already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is funny that you couldn't think of the right question to ask... Oh well! Nothing like the experience to learn!

    I remember you getting caught up on that question! Answering those is a matter of staying calm and doing the best you can. We will probably get to a point where they no longer phase us! I think, moving forward, you will find a lesson where inquiry is great and you can really get your feet wet on how a good inquiry based lesson feels. I'm sure you will rock it out next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mike,
    I have to say this lab was a struggle for all of us to come up with ideas. You talked about not being able to come up with a question but I don't think that would have been a problem if you wouldn't have come up with one it would have just pushed your lesson farther into the C& D portions of the rubric. And in all honesty I think that some of us got to caught up with the question and lost sight of the inquiry. Keep working hard we'er almost there and will have a full semester to practices, practices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job Mike! We all struggled through this lab, but got through it. Sometimes as teachers, we will feel like we didn't do a good enough job which will happen, you just have keep pushing forward to the next one. If it was that bad and the students didn't learn the material, you can just go back over it again so they do learn the info for sure. Once we get several years under our belt, life should be a little easier, or at least we can breath then!

    ReplyDelete